Most Popular Posts

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pity Isn't an Option Review




"Seventeen year-old Jonas Norton is trying to come to terms with what his blood disorder has robbed from him, including his two most favorite things: basketball, and competing in Hatchet Racket, Wanless’ annual hatchet-throwing contest. The facts that his father works constantly to pay for his blood tests and Jonas can actually see the disappointment in his eyes for being such a failure only make matters worse. And even worse than all of that? Jonas' own twin brother, Micah, is perfectly healthy and becoming quite the basketball player. Also, Hattie, the girl Jonas has loved for forever? She has no idea how he feels.
Sixteen year-old Hattie Akerman lives down the hill from Jonas. Though her father, Heath, tries to hide his lack of mental clarity behind the bottle and she's pretty much given up on having any kind of relationship with him, she would still rather her younger sister, Lucy, not have to deal with the consequences of his behavior. Hattie helps her mother by baking food to sell at Market and looking out for Lucy. No matter what the rest of the town says about her crazy father, Jonas sticks up for them. He is, by far, her very best friend. 
As if things aren’t complicated enough already, Heath and Micah are unexpectedly drafted into President Kendrick's army (an army from which no one ever returns) just days before Thanksgiving. When Heath disappears instead of arriving at the Meeting Place to check in, Hattie and Jonas decide they’ve had enough, and take matters into their own hands. And though nothing could have prepared them for what happens next, Hattie and Jonas learn that hope can be seen in every situation. You just have to know where to look."

Okay, guys. I started this on New Year's Day with less than 2 hours of sleep. That was a bad, bad idea. I still don't know what happened in the first 6% of the book which may actually explain a lot of my confusion for the first half. I probably missed important points under that hallucination of a day. It gives me a headache just thinking about it...



But anyway, that is not a good way to start off a book. I was such of a confused mess for about a month that couldn't get into it. It frustrated the crap out of me. But after reading what it was about a few times on Goodreads, I finally got into it.



Not too much happens in the beginning, but I loved Jonas. He reminded me so much of myself that it wasn't even funny. I just wanted to hug him. I feel like he's on the list of my fictional brothers.



Also the whole beginning involved me almost murdering Micah because he was being a little jerk. I now know/understand his feelings (because of the ending), but I still kinda want to hurt him.



Also, random side note. I have a very love/hate relationship with book that switch POVs. I just kept thinking Jonas was Hattie and Hattie was Jonas and it was a mess. That could have been part of the reason it took me so long to get into it. I'd just read thinking Jonas was talking, but then Jonas would be addressed by name, and I'd realize oh wait! and I'd have to reread the chapter...just like Allegiant! Pay attention, guys. It'll help. I promise.



Yes, but then things happened! Drafts and fights and arguing and disappearances! It was exciting!



And then they went on a journey! Although I'm not gonna tell ya what they were looking for...but Hattie and Jonas bonded. I-I ship them so hard. And they're both idiots who don't realize how much they secretly love each other AND I JUST WANT THEM TO BE A THING.



But guys, the end. I got really really worried. And not because I was in a car in the middle of a blizzard an hour from home with my sister and brother-in-law. It did make the situation more worrisome though. But ice...will be the downfall to everything. (Titanic, my wrist, the car trip, this book, you get the point)



And the end end. Ummm...I love Jonas, but I debated strangling him. I know it's all meaningful and heartfelt and he's helping, but NO. MADI DOES NOT APPROVE. I love him, and I ship Jattie? (is that a thing? Idk), and I don't want my ship to die because of a certain person.



Oh! I forgot about Jonas and his dad's sweet little moment. I loved it. I cried. It like inspired me and hit me so hard in the heart. Like Jonas and I are so similar and that made me feel so good. And no one will ever understand my love for dad/grandpa moments in movies/books. They kill me.



But even though it took forever for me to get into this lovely book, the ending just killed me. Y'all should go read it and Jessica's other books. They are absolutely amazing! (As is she!)



I hope all of you have a fabulous day! It was a pleasurable day that's so cold that we didn't have school, so I wrote ya two book reviews! I love ya, guys! Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment